Investigation insights: A toolkit for leaders and investigators
How can leaders get engaged in incident investigations? How can leaders make sense of investigation findings? How can organisations more effectively learn?
Investigation insights: A toolkit for the leader and investigators has been developed to help leaders and investigators to answer these questions. Developed by researchers from the Open University, and tested in the energy and mining sectors, this toolkit will help leaders get better insights from incident investigations, and lead to better learning outcomes.
ISBN: 978 1 78725 317 9
Version: 1st (April 2022)
Investigation insights: A toolkit for leaders and investigators is a set of four practical tools to help improve the way leaders are engaged during and after incident investigations. The tools should be used at different stages in the lifecycle of an incident investigation – before (when setting up the investigation team), during the investigation, or afterwards once the investigation is complete. They should also be used by different people:
- leaders who are overseeing or invested in the success of an incident investigation,
- incident investigators who need to engage leaders in the investigation, and afterwards communicate their findings to leaders, and
- project teams who are expected to implement changes following an incident.
The ultimate purpose of the tools is to help leaders get better insights into why incidents happen and use this knowledge to lead to better learning outcomes. The tools do this by:
- helping leaders understand their role in the investigation process, and how to set up the investigation for success,
- helping incident investigators to engage leaders (and others involved in the investigation) during the investigation,
- providing a process for investigators and leaders to engage others (other leaders, other team members) in the findings of the investigation – helping them truly understand why the incident happened, and
- providing processes to help the organisation create and implement its own solutions to incidents – solutions that they support and are invested in seeing to completion.
Watch our launch webinar (April 2022), including case studies from industry on how they used the toolkit to improve learning:
Investigation insights: A toolkit for leaders and investigators consists of four tools. These tools are available for purchase as a single booklet (as above) or, alternatively, each tool can be purchased separately.
The four tools were designed for different stages in the lifecycle of an incident investigation and you can find out more about them below: